Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Box Quilt Block: How I Made It (simpler!)

For this month for my NuBees swap, I decided that I wanted to do the "Box Quilt" Block from Quilter's Cache.

After finishing one block as the directions instruct, I figured that there were also some other ways to put this block together, while also avoiding set in seams. Here is my take on how to do this:

Start with the original directions and sew your 3.5 by 2 inch and 5 by 2 inch strips onto your starting 3.5 inch square.



Instead of piecing your "box" strips with triangles, I used the stitch and flip method to add the background triangles to the strips. These strips should be 5 by 2 inches and 6.5 by 2 inches.




Your finished quarter will look like this:


And finish like this:


Have you figured out easier ways to make things?

3 comments:

  1. Clever girl! That is how new techniques come about...quilter looking for a better way to do something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this tutorial. The block looks great. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great block....thanks so much for the tute!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!