Monday, January 20, 2014

Wishes Quilt Along Block #1

Are you participating in the Fat Quarter Shop Wishes Quilt Along?

Originally, I wasn't planning to do this one, but my sister decided over Christmas that she was going to do it, and after seeing how cute her block turned out, I had to join in too!

I am using half yards rather than fat quarters and am using the pieces that I have of the Cabana Blooms collection that I got ages ago on clearance on Fabric.com. I have added in a few other fabric pieces from here and there and am using Kona Coal for my background.


January's block is the Flying Kite Block. Instead of using 8 different fabrics, I used 2 each of four different fabrics.


I will also say that I did not make my block as directed. I cut my background triangles as directed and then used them as a "template" to trim down the triangles I cut from 6 inch squares cut diagonally once (I ended up trimming off about 1/8 th of an inch). Why cut four triangles and not use three of them? Why cut a nearly 8 x 6 inch piece and discard a whole bunch of it? My block ended up perfectly sized without wasting an excess of fabric. I certainly cannot afford the luxury of over-cutting or throwing good fabric away just because it makes for a simpler pattern.

Rant over. There's a great Facebook group and a Flickr group to share progress and ogle blocks, if you so desire!

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!