Monday, May 8, 2017

Christine's Kitchen QAL {Week 8}

Welcome back to Week 8 of the Christine's Kitchen QAL! Now that we're done paper piecing, we're in the sprint to the finish line to finish the quilts!


It's applique week! We're making two applique blocks to add to Row #2. Here are my applique tips for this week! Click over to Craftsy for the pattern!
  • If you plan to hand applique, don't forget to add your seam allowance to the templates in this week's pattern.
  • I machine appliqued my blocks -- my stems are 1/4 inch strips (see below) and my flowers are pink and purple. 
  • Before machine appliqueing, test your stitch tension. I keep a scrap nearby to test my tension, much like testing tension for machine quilting.
  • Stitch slow and steady until you get the hang of keeping your stitches at/on the edge. I used a zig zag stitch for my stems, leaves, and flower petals.
  • When adding my fusible applique pieces, I added my flower centers first, then my stems and leaves, and finally the flower petals.
  • Don't forget to trace your shapes onto your fusible web before you iron it to your fabric!
Let's take a peak into my machine applique process:

Here are my flower centers and a section of petals traced and ironed onto my fabrics:


For the stems, I ironed a larger piece of fusible web onto my green fabric and then cut 1/4 inch strips from that section.


Here are my applique pieces added step by step:



For my machine applique I used two different variegated threads from Superior threads on the top with off-white in the bottom. Don't forget to trim your blocks to 8 inches!


Here are Amanda's blocks:


Once your blocks are complete, you can add them to either side of Row #2! 


Since we've finished a row this week, we'll be doing another giveaway! This week will be another two pattern giveaway! Don't forget to post your finished rows on Instagram with #ChristinesKitchenQuilt! 

Our winner from last week is Alice! Check out here entire china collection:


Thinking about joining in late? There is still a lot of time to catch up before the final quilt parade in June! Click on over to Craftsy to download the entire pattern! Sharing at Let's Bee Social too!

March 20th: Blocks 1 and 2; sashing

March 27th: Blocks 3 and 4; building Row #1
April 3rd: Block 5; sashing
April 10th: Blocks 6 and 7
April 17th: Blocks 8 and 9; building Row #3
April 24th: Blocks 10 and 11; sashing
May 1st: Block 12; sashing, building Row #4
May 8th: Applique blocks, building Row #2 (you are here!)
May 15th: Setting 
May 22nd: Border and finishing
May 29th: Memorial Day break
June 5th: Show off your quilt!

1 comment:

  1. Your quilt pattern is so pretty! I wish I had joined in, but I already have too many projects to make.

    ReplyDelete