Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Little Bitty Baby Quilt Tutorial

The last few baby quilts that I have made have all used the same simple layout and I put together a basic tutorial on it to share and share a little bit on the method behind my madness.




I started making simple baby quilts with this setting because you can back the quilt with one single width of the snuggle flannel they sell at Joann, but any fabric wider than 40" will be wide enough to back this quilt with, since the quilt finishes at 39" square. I always found it rather annoying to have to piece a backing for such a tiny quilt, and then have so much left over -- this way the excess backing is reduced.

This is also a great way to use some of those 12 inch blocks you might have left over from swaps or a great way to try out some new blocks! The first two examples above are blocks I made and/or received in swaps in 2014.  The bottom one is one I made from a fat quarter bundle.

You will need:
Nine (9) 12.5 inch (12 inch finished) quilt blocks of your choosing
Sixteen (16) 1.5 inch squares for cornerstones
Twenty-four (24) 1.5 inch x 12.5 inch strips for sashing (one 12.5 inch X WOF strip can cover this)

Lay out your nine quilt blocks as desired.  Sew sashing strips to the sides of blocks to create three (3) rows with four (4) sashing strips and three (3) quilt blocks.


Sew four (4) rows containing four (4) cornerstones and three (3) sashing strips each.


Sew sashing rows to block rows to complete the quilt top. Quilt and bind as desired.



That's it! Short and sweet! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!