Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Ombre Everest {Finished Mini Quilt}

For my last installment of my May Modern Mini (say that three times fast!) project, I'm sharing my finished Ombre Everest mini quilt!


Hello gorgeous!


When last I shared, I had made all of the necessary wonky cross blocks for my mini:


All of the columns except one have a spacer at the top of the "pile" of wonky crosses.


My columns came together quite quickly:


...and so did the mini quilt top!


Because the wonky crosses in every other row are offset from one another, I needed to give the quilt a little bit of a trim before I layered and pinned the top with the batting and backing.


For the inside of the mountain, I used Superior Threads Fantastico variegated thread on the front. For the sky portion, I used a light blue thread from my stash. I used Aurifil 40 wt. thread for the bobbin thread throughout as well as the binding.


I had already decided on how I would quilt this mini during the design process, before I had even cut a single strip! The quilting in the background echos the outline of my mountain; the quilting in the mountain are random diagonal lines through the mini quilt.





I used the medium shade of purple fabric for the binding. I used the other four shades on my pieced backing. I used two 10 inch squares for my hanging pockets. They don't quite fit my purple theme, but they'll likely be hiding forever! My backing ended up ever so slightly askew but at least my quilting doesn't have any tucks on the back!


And not only am I excited to have another finished project, I am excited to share that the free pattern for this mini quilt will be available very soon on Craftsy! I will update this post when it is available!


Quilt Stats:
Name: Ombre Everest
Fabrics: Island Batik Blenders
Threads: Aurifil and Superior Threads Fantastico
Piecing: Wonky Crosses (tutorial here)
Pattern: self-designed, available soon on Craftsy
Quilting: random diagonals in the mountain, echo steps in the sky
Size: 27 inches square (I think this might technically be larger than a standard "mini" quilt, so does that make it a "midi" quilt?)

Sharing at Linky Tuesday and Finish it up Friday!

13 comments:

  1. First, I am very partial to purple so you got me at hello :)
    I find the movement in this quilt very interesting. Great piece :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the finish!! I love the colors and thank you for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out beautifully, Alison, and I love it when you have such strong ideas for quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt turned out wonderful!!! I really like the quilting and how the backing mimics the mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty quilt! Love the ombre effect. You picked a perfect design for the quilting, it fits perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting design - reminds me of a volcano! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eep! This is freaking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your purple mountain majesty! It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sort of speechless. I love it! Looking forward to your pattern and I just peeked at the wonky cross tutorial! Wow, that's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Alison,
    This is a very interesting project - I just want to keep looking at it. Love the wonky blocks, love the quilting and love your fabric choices. ~smile~
    Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an interesting quilt! I really like the quilting, especially in the mountain. Those diagonal lines gives the mountain a jagged feel, very much like rocks and such. I'll definitely keep an eye out for the Craftsy pattern. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Of that is gorgeous - and such a clever construction, I love the shading it gives on the mountain!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome work - your backing is so appropriate, what a great idea! I have a friend who would love the purple tones of this. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!