Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Patriotic Blooms {Finished July Wall Hanging}

Let's take a walk down memory lane to June 2015. Yes, I said 2015.

That's when I finished the fusible applique on my July wall hanging. That's also how it has sat for the last nearly two years. Since Memorial Day Monday was a "bonus free day" for me, I decided to pick a long-term WIP from the list and make a dent in it. I chose this project because it was small and could reasonably be completely finished in just a few hours, and that's what I did!


For the applique stitching, I used red Aurifil around the white squares and flowers, olive Aurifil on the leaves and stems, brown on the flower pot, and white around the flower centers.

Around the flowers, I used a oval shaped satin stitch and it makes the flowers look like they are ruffled! It's a really fun detail that was spur of the moment and I am so happy with it! It really gives the quilt some additional texture and interest rather than regular satin stitching.


 

For the quilting, I quilted meandering loops and five pointed stars. Perfect for a patriotic quilt!



For the backing and hanging pockets, I used what was left of the red, pink, and cream leaf print that I had used in this backing. For the binding, I used a red tonal fat quarter and made bias binding.


It feels so good to have an old WIP crossed off the list! Hopefully this summer will see some additional significant progress made on some of my old WIPs.



Quilt Stats:
Name: July Mini Quilt
Pattern: adapted from "Calendar Quilts" by Kim Schaefer
Size: 28" x 21"
Fabrics: Scrappy patriotic fabrics and other various scraps
Techniques: Satin stitching, machine applique, free motion quilting
Quilting: Free motion loops and stars

Sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday and Scraptastic Tuesday!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the satisfying and timely finish for the summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great little finish! The star flowers are so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, and why did you wait so long to finish that cute project?
    I know how it goes - my patriotic strip quilt got bumped yet again for a wedding quilt, but I swear it is up next for a quilting finish.

    Question, what are those two flaps of material at the top of the backing? tvonzalez at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo and well done on finishing and hope you can do the same with a few others on your list ! Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!