Monday, October 9, 2017

Faceted Friendship Star {Assembly}

It's time for more itty bitty piecing on my October Island Batik Ambassador project!


After putting together the small triangle units for my Faceted Friendship Star, I started working on the 9-patch units. I needed to make eight in total - one for each of the four larger triangle sections and four for the center square.

I made the four for the large triangle units first, and made sure that each one didn't have any of the same fabrics touching, as well as the light triangles (mostly) pointing in the same direction. These sections are made up of one 9-patch section (upper right), one background square (lower left), and two small triangle units (upper right and lower left).


For the center, I made all four units at the same time, making sure that each unit had the desired "spin" as well as making sure that the HSTs on the edges contrasted with the HSTs in the neighboring units.



Time to put everything together - my center unit, my four large triangle units, and my four large background squares! My big block now measures 27.5 inches!


Here's the big block with the 2 inch border strips sewn around the outside.


My next step is starting on my pieced border which will be shared next week! It involves lots of 2.5 inch squares, but not quite as many half square triangles!

Get the entire Faceted pattern collection on Payhip:


Sharing at Linky Tuesday and Let's Bee Social!

11 comments:

  1. That is going to be an amazing quilt, Alison! I love that bright blue that pops out from your little triangles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's looking great, Alison! I like your attention to detail in the value placement and arrangement of the HSTs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think people realize how much planning goes into "random". I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with borders!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, so good. I love this star!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That turned out beautifully! You did a great job at keeping the right orientation through out the center. That would have driven me batty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is beautiful! Love all the different fabrics and the design!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is going to be goregous. Can't wait to see the next steps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful! Those little HSTs really sparkle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Alison,
    WOW - this is beautiful. I just love, love, LOVE the fabrics you chose. The time and effort you took for color placement really shows in the finished piece. I can hardly wait to see the border you add! And how you finish it off with quilting. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is absolutely gorgeous. I admire the patience it takes to get the placement just right. Looking forward to seeing how you finish it. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's beautiful Allison. The little half square triangles create such movement.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!