Friday, March 23, 2018

Bias Tape Table Runner {Finished March IBA Challenge}

This month's Island Batik Ambassador challenge was to try a new-to-us technique using the fabrics provided in our Ambassador boxes. I chose to try out bias tape applique and I made these four blocks before I went on vacation:


I had originally thought about making a mini quilt from the blocks, but decided to add four purple squares with the blocks and made a table runner instead!


Another new thing I got to try with this project is my BRAND NEW SEWING MACHINE!


Meet Marcie, my Janome Memory Craft 6600P. As I remarked on Instagram, the only thing that's missing is a cupholder! Working on a little project like this table runner was perfect to test out the different settings for straight stitching, free motion quilting, and all of the different feet!

For the quilting, I used a purple and pink variegated thread from Superior Threads with purple 50 wt. Aurifil in the bobbin and did a simple all over meander. The backing is an aqua coordinate of the Sunflower Serenade line. I used a fat quarter of one of the pink floral prints for the binding and used one of the decorative stitches on my machine to do the top stitching (also using the variegated/Aurifil top/bobbin thread combination!).






All in all, I'm very excited about my new machine (which I can guarantee you'll hear more about!) and adding bias tape applique to my portfolio of quilting skills!

Don't forget to join in the Blocked Rainbow QAL! Block directions don't start being released until April 2nd, so you have plenty of time to start gathering fabrics! Our Kona sale is for a short time only so grab what you need for the QAL or just stock up!

Sharing at Finish it up Friday and Linky Tuesday!

14 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new Janome! I have the 5600 and I love it, especially the scissor button.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, very cool! I've been interested in this technique for awhile, it looks really cool! I didn't know you could do this technique with batik as I thought batik had no stretch, but it looks great so apparently you can! Congratulations on your new machine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to get to know your new machine!!! Sew much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pretty table runner was the perfect project to test out your new machine. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun table runner! With the blocks added in I can pretend and visualize how the bias tape twists and turns to start in the next block.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute runner. Love your bias tape playground! Congrats on the new machine. No cup holder??? Oh well, it would just get in the way! LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janomes are the best! Cute runner:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woo hoo! Welcome, Marcie! How fun to have a new machine, and your first finished project on it (her?) looks terrific :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on a very pretty finish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your little quilt is lovely, colorful, and fun. I'm inspired and would like to try this technique in the future. Have a fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Neat blocks. I like how this came out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great project to get started with a new machine. Congratulations on your new acquisition, I hope Marcie and you make many many fun projects together!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I try to respond to all comments and if I am not responding to you, your settings probably prevent me from responding to you via email -- meaning, that you are a no-reply blogger. Please check your settings so that I can properly respond to you!